Follow my blog:


Like what you see? Join my mailing list by submitting your email address in the next box to receive updated blog notices.

At the bottom of the page you can post a comment. Just click on the word "comment" and add your message. I love to see all your comments here rather than my email inbox, unless it is just between you and I ;-)

Friday, May 11, 2012

Welcome To Our Farm

Welcome to the newly named "Murder of Crows Farm" in Quincy, Illinois.

After living in a 90 year old home on five acres, complete with mid 19th century barn, for 18 months, it is officially ours! Well, more accurately, the bank and I.

How did this come to be? The family departed Las Vegas, NV to resettle in the mid-west. It was time for a lifestyle change and a slower pace of life. We have family in this area, so we began searching for a place that would accommodate our family which consists of myself and Jim, my daughter Jessica, her significant-other James, and their baby (my adorable granddaughter) Lizelle. After living in a congested city, we wanted space to stretch out without falling into our neighbor's pool. My dear friend, Amanda, literally found the listing for our farm on the Internet and thought it might be what we were looking for. As this was a huge lifestyle change for us, we were fortunate enough to convince the seller to try a "lease with option-to-buy" to make sure we really wanted to become country folk. If the critters and bugs scared us back to Nevada, it would have been just an interesting segue for a year or so. As fate would have it, we fell in love with this new life, for various individual reasons, and decided to go ahead with the purchase. So, as of May 7, 2012, this little plot of land is now known as the Murder of Crows Farm.

We are located 15 minutes from downtown Quincy, IL which is a delightfully historic community of about 40,000. Located high on limestone bluffs overlooking the mighty Mississippi River, it is a sister city to St Louis, MO which is about a 2 hour drive south of us. It is known as the "Gem City" and we consider it as such. It has most of what we need, and what it doesn't stock is easily available via the Internet.

Our little homestead was carved from an original 80 acre farm. The remaining acreage is still farmed, usually corn or soy, as are most of the fields surrounding us. We have a 1920's Arts and Crafts style bungalow home, garage, an older garage shed, an adorable wood corn crib, and a barn built sometime in the second half of the 1800's. There is much renovation needed to bring the house into this century for convenience and comfortable living, while still maintaining the charm of the architectural design. We also have interesting plans for each of the out-buildings, but more on that later.

I invite you to check-in on our country adventure from time-to-time. I will keep you posted with the latest developments as we make building improvements, plant and harvest our garden, eventually add chickens and livestock, and other things country. I'm pretty fair with a camera, so hopefully you will enjoy my images, too.

15 comments:

  1. This is awesome! congrats! grow something for me, bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, there you two are! Haven't heard about the farm since Christmas. Your blog should be fun to watch. Pat the ol' far- on the head for me.- Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sheree glad to see that things are going so ell for you and the family there. I am a bit concerned about Jim though. He told me you guys were moving to an adorable country house and that you were taking care of everything, and that all he had to do was laze about and take care of all the chicks that need him and wander through the yard. I can't help but feel sorry for the guy when he found out that you weren't the "madam" and that the chicks just needed feeding an an occasional neck adjustment. Good luck with everything and I'll snoop in on your blog occasionally
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheree and Jim!
    So happy for you that the house and farm are officially yours! Looks like you guys have a great life out there. Excited that you are sharing it through your blog =)
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new addition to the family and the new blog site! I hope you realize we expect to see a large collection of photos here, both farm- and family-related.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have got to get together since your are so close.. also give you some hints on chickens, cows, horses, gardening etc. since most of them I have failed at achieving.

    Ok is the name of the farm from the movie Murder of Crows?

    Love Linda and Joe McGuckin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched that documentary, which is why I know what the phrase means. There are several layers of meanings that lead us to this name, but that will be another blog ;-)

      Delete
  7. Thought I would share some hints with you, for when you get started.
    Farming Hints -
    Bantams are small hens but my favorite.
    One or two little piggies won't stink as bad as trying to keep
    up with a bunch. You'll get real attached to a little piggy
    before the end of the year and the trip to the butcher. The
    best lie to the family is, "I switched meat with a different
    pig at the butcher."
    Save up an emergency fund for trips to the E.R. if you decide to
    keep a horse. Lower the bottom half of the halter so it
    falls off the horses nose and leave the top half only around
    the horses neck, so that you can keep him tied off while you
    try to get the bits of the bridal in his mouth. This really
    increases his cooperation. Then you can just unhook the rear
    of the halter once the bridal is on, and nothing gets
    tangled up.
    Donkeys are good at protecting your goat's babies from coyotes if
    the donkey grows up with your goats.
    You always end up with way more squash than you ever wanted to
    eat when you plant a garden.
    Peacocks are so loud. Thier beauty doesn't make them worth the
    effort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be expecting a phone call when I get in a bind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adventure!!!Can't wait to hear more!!! You finally traded your Manolo Blahniks for galoshes!!!well, I hope you've at least glued some rhinestones to them...or would that traumatize the four legged creatures?!:/ Oh well, this city girl is fascinated by your blog and dying to learn all about your new life....
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. I wondered where you guys landed. Great photos. I hope the bird is not a crow being murdered. Kinda looks that way and based on the farm name, well.........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sheree Jim and Family,

    I wondered what happened to you...glad to know you have landed on both feet and are living a life of adventure. I do remember you wanting this dream of farm life and living off of the land. So happy you found your dream. Congratulations!!!
    I still remember the poppers and the tacos in Mexican...It was another good time!!
    I will be in the Saint Louis area the end of May. If time permits and you would like to meet up let me know.
    Would you please educate me on the name "Murder of Crows Farm"?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You might appreciate Ben Hewitt's blog. Check it out.
    he's at BenHewitt.net

    ReplyDelete