Follow my blog:


Like what you see? Join my mailing list by submitting your email address in the next box to receive updated blog notices.

At the bottom of the page you can post a comment. Just click on the word "comment" and add your message. I love to see all your comments here rather than my email inbox, unless it is just between you and I ;-)

Monday, May 21, 2012

Reuse, Recycle, Repurpose


Now I know that my first blogs have been very introductory and a bit fluffy with bunnies and such, but hang in there guys, this blog may have a little more substance to it. I have a found object that I need help with. So keep on reading to see what I have in store for you.

Jessica and I are very supportive of being "green". We recycled our glass, plastic, and aluminum in Las Vegas. Moving to the country has only served to amp this up several notches. Quincy has a very user friendly recycle plant, so we diligently save the plastic, metal cans, glass, aluminum, newspapers, cardboard, and paper for frequent drop offs whenever we are heading to that area of downtown. James has been gathering an assortment of wire, junque metal, and broken equipment to cash in at the metal recycle.We even made a whopping $3.50 by turning in beer, liquor, and wine bottles when we made a trip to Keokuk, Iowa. Funny that there is a cash value on only that type of glass. Guess it pays to drink more wine and beer!

Not much waste escapes our kitchen either. Veggie peelings, wilted produce, egg shells, and coffee grounds make it into our compost heap. We seem to have an endless supply of grass clippings which make a great weed block while they decompose. Did I mention the gold in the barn? Plenty of straw and manure was left in there. All this provides good plant growing material for our gardens.

Recycling comes in many forms. I have always been an antiquer, or junquer, dependant upon you personal view of collecting. The more rusty and rustic, the better I like it. I picked up the bug honestly enough from my antique dealer mother, but her tastes were always much more refined with beautiful china and cut glass. I like to repurpose my treasures rather than have them cluttered about just collecting dust. Years ago I had two butter churns turned into lamps. I also used an old family pitch fork as a kitchen window curtain rod. Yesterday I purchased this well used wheelbarrow. It will be planted with rock garden plants and be the focal point at the entrance gate to my herb garden. Another find was an old Radio Flyer wagon which I have already planted with
mint. Jessica has been on a hunt for vintage fabric and tea towels to sew into dresses for Lizelle. With a little imagination, the cutest things can be conjured up with items others may overlook or discard. Future projects will include glass dish flowers and bottle sculptures. Kathleen W of Webe glass does some really cool things to discarded glass bottles with her kiln. I may have to ask her for some more suggestions.

I recently purchased this unusual object that I just couldn't resist. It is a farm implement, made of heavy metal and leather. Does anyone know what this is? Better yet, can you come up with a clever way to repurpose it? It should be interesting to see where your imaginations take you with this item. Being as "green" as I am, both in earth friendly and "green-horn", I actually knew what it was. I know some of you, like Linda and Joe McG will recognize this, but don't spill the beans just yet and we can have some fun with this!


3 comments:

  1. Hey Sheree & Jim -- Enjoyed reading your blog. Such "country folk" you've become! Looking forward to keeping up with you. Sorry we couldn't see you at Mom's 95th birthday but hope to see you next time you're in town. Roni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give Opal our best wishes for her BD. Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The following dialogue took place on FaceBook about this unknown farm impliment. I'll paste everyone's comments here.

    Shari McFadden: Almost looks like some sort of medieval bustier! LOL

    Doug Bibo: That's what I was going to say, in which case why repurpose it. Just wear it when you go to the city.

    Sheree Norman: I think it might need a touch of satin somewhere..

    Doug Bibo: It would probably chafe.

    Joy-Ann Sanz-Agero: Something that might be used on an animal like a horse or cow to hold the tails?

    Philip Burke: I was thinking the same, Shari. Of course, it may offer some other type of support if for a horse;-)

    Thomas Mcfadden: chastity belt for a horse ?pactice safe sex

    Sheree Norman: You guys aren't even close yet!! But creative!!!

    Webe Webowitz: paper towel holder (after being cleaned/washed and oiled)

    Joy-Ann Sanz-Agero: Feedbag,broken

    Webe Webowitz: fly cover, bubbles cover eyes

    Sheree Norman: Webe, you are getting close! At least you have it at the right end of the animal.

    Webe Webowitz: for plow pullers

    Louise Renhard: What is it made out of? If u turn it the other way round would it be some sort of x rated woman's outfit?

    Sheree Norman: It's heavy metal & leather. Now, I don't know everything they do down on the farm, so I can't answer your 2nd question ;-) or is that what you suggest I repurpose it for??

    Sheree Norman: Sounds like we need to hear from Randy McP on this one!

    Shari McFadden: I agree with Webe, horse blinders...I would still repurpose it as a bustier, for a Medieval or Renaissance fair after a bit up cleaning and polishing!

    Joy-Ann Sanz-Agero: Okay, it to keep a race horse from being distracted by other horses and riders in a race, and the man above had it right, I think. Maybe if it were new, it wouldn't look so cruel.

    Sheree Norman: That would be an interesting race LOL. Hint: those "bubbles" are solid & can not be seen thru.

    Joy-Ann Sanz-Agero: Well, that's whiy they have the gear with the blinkers on them, so the horse can't see either side or behind..

    Janell Richards: Looks like what you use to keep bugs out of the horses eyes and shield the sun to prevent cataracts in blue eyed horses, but they use a screen. You can cover a horses eyes to calmly lead them out the barn when it's on fire, so perhaps it is used when they are acting up?

    Sheree Norman: OK, you all did very well coming up with ideas of what this contraption is used for. You finally got it on the right end of the animal which is the head LOL. Yes, it is a blinder - completely blocking sight - so subduing an animal would be the purpose. As I mentioned, it is made of very heavy metal & the leather straps are very strong. Drumroll, please . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . it is a Bull Blinder! My next question is, how do they get that thing on an awnery bull??????

    Sheree Norman: Now, I too have visions of satin & tulle on this thing. ;-) Mardi Gras maybe?

    ReplyDelete