Follow my blog:


Like what you see? Join my mailing list by submitting your email address in the next box to receive updated blog notices.

At the bottom of the page you can post a comment. Just click on the word "comment" and add your message. I love to see all your comments here rather than my email inbox, unless it is just between you and I ;-)

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Nest Fluffing

Now that we own our little piece of country, we can start fluffing our nest, so to speak. Sticker bushes around the house foundation were pulled out this week, courtesy of James and the Jeep Wrangler aka "the Tractor". We have decided that the only sharp objects allowed on our plants will be on rose or berry bushes. Staircase carpeting may be next to get pulled, if we can only figure out a way to get the Jeep to do the hard work.... A peak under the carpeting revealed hardwood floors. I could still smell the old floor wax.


Many new creatures are also making an appearance on our farm. An old nest on the arm support of a basketball hoop in

the shed was revamped this spring for a robin family. The fledglings are leaving the nest one by one under their parents' watchful eyes. They are in close proximity to our tomato patch, so we need to be mindful not to step on them as they hop about while figuring out how to fly.

photo by Jessica
Lizelle made a discovery a few weeks ago when she was watering the herb garden. A tiny bunny ("hop-hop" in Lizelle speak) jumped out from under a clump of thyme when it received an unexpected shower. Upon closer examination, we found two more secreted away in a fur-lined nest. They now hop about with the older rabbits and nibble on the many weeds we have. They all seem to love dandelion stems, but I don't believe they eat those pesty seeds that fly about. I guess that assures them of an endless supply of salad. So far I have not noticed any damage in the garden due to their nibbling. Hopefully I will be able to grow enough in our garden for all of us so that we can remain neighborly. They are cute!

A pair of turkey vultures were eyeing our barn last month. At first we thought that was pretty cool. They are not the most handsome of birds, but their wingspan is impressive. While the pair was discussing the nesting potential of the loft, Jessica did a little research. Apparently they are very communal birds, so if they liked the real estate, they could have returned with their  friends which can be an alarming number! They don't have the best manners, either. When they are defensive, they may use vomit as an escape tactic. Don't think I want to accidentally sneak up on one of them. Well, the accommodations didn't suit them, so they have nested elsewhere, thank goodness! They do make occasional visits over our field, but they don't linger, which maintains a good relationship between us.

We have spotted tiny voles, crayfish, snakes (garter & gopher), mice, rats, mole hills in the lawn, owls, and deer. We are overrun with sparrows and starlings. We hope to attract more desirable songbirds and butterflies after I get my wild flowers planted.
 
Speaking of plants, my herb garden is doing terrific. It is so nice to be able to pick fresh parsley, basil, thyme, sage, and cilantro for cooking. I tried gardening in an area last year that turned out to be the soggy bottoms. The soil is very full of clay in that area and did not drain well. This year I am trying melons in that location and moved my tomato patch to higher, drier ground where the soil seems much better. Twenty plants - ten varieties - should tell me whether this was a good choice. I plant Borage with the tomatos which seems to act as a deterent to the moth that lays those horrible tomato hornworms eggs. If all goes well, we should have plenty of tomatos to eat with the eight varieties of basil that are growing out there. Did I tell you I was a Jersey girl? Best tomatos grown in the US!

My Italian herbs consisiting of basil, orengano, & thyme are growing in an old child's wash tub.
Mexican herbs of cilantro & peppers are in a pot below.
These culinary herbs are located just a few feet out of the kitchen backdoor.






2 comments:

  1. Hey Sheree, welcome to "the country". Its a long way from Vegas. Tell Jim hello for me. It seems Linda was way ahead of me on your new adventure. Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of herbs in the little bad tub! And it looks good. I can already smell it over here, lovely.
    Nice to see the robin family is flying out to a new life of their own.
    Greetings, Yvon

    ReplyDelete